Turn the clock back to 1961 and beyond. Roam those old dirt roads once more and visit friendly neighbours you knew so well. From its beginnings before 1930 to its dismantlement in 1961, making way for the Squaw Rapids Hydro-electric Dam, to the day in 1962 when the river rose and water erased footprints forever, there's a lot to remember and to comment on.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Mossy Vale Church
In 1941, Frank and Cassandra Morris granted a parcel of their land across the road from their home (SW 27 - 53 - 11 - W2) to the (Anglican) Synod of the Diocese of Saskatchewan. This church, which was erected beginning in 1940 by area residents ended services that had been held in their home and in the homes of others. The church served Mossy Vale, Reno Hill, and Pas Trail, wasn't heated and therefore not used in winter. During the Second World War, with a number of the district men away, it was closed down and services were once again held in folks' homes or at the school. In 1952 it was cleaned up and reopened with student minister Ray Hefflefinger conducting services. The above picture might have been taken in 1954 just after student minister, Irving Fraser, had successfully organized a work bee to paint the church white.
Sources: Saskatchewan Archives (SA-1416) U.C. Pas Trail Field Mission / ISC Grant Search
Photo courtesy: C. Reimer