Turn the clock back to 1961 and beyond. Roam those old dirt roads once more and visit friendly neighbours you knew so well. From its beginnings before 1930 to its dismantlement in 1961, making way for the Squaw Rapids Hydro-electric Dam, to the day in 1962 when the river rose and water erased footprints forever, there's a lot to remember and to comment on.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Building Mossy Vale School,1943

From Left: Ellis Hamilton, Bill Symonds, Bob Halladay, Clare Nelson, Bill Adamson, Floyd Nelson. On ground from left: George Smith Sr., John Adamson, Beatrice Nelson.

From the name suggested by Harry Watts who lived south of the Petaigan River, Mossy Vale School District #5159 was formed in 1939. In 1943 the school was built on the west side of the Tote Road on land owned by Steve Matrice and Annie Morris (sec. 26) and later moved to Eldon and Joyce Adamson's northeast quarter (sec. 22) around the time the new road was put through in 1952.

Photo courtesy: E. Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment